Key dates in the development of polish electrical power engineering in the years 1878-2016

1878

  • First electric arch lamp in installed in the Royal Irown Works. 

1879

  • Installation of electric lighting system in B. Hantke factory in Warsaw. 

1880

  • Electric lighting of the textile factory in Zawiercie. 

1884

  • First use of electric street lamps in Warsaw.

1889

  • First public utility power plant in the territory of contemporary Poland (in Szczecin).

1891

  • Launching a city power plant in Wrocław.

1892

  • Completion of construction of the second power plant in Szczecin.

1893

  • Commissioning of the first power plant in the territory of Poland under Austrian rule (in Bielsko-Biała).

1894

  • Putting into operation a tram power plant in Lvov.

1895

  • Putting into operation the Dziekanka industrial power plant in Gniezno.
  • Putting into operation city power plants in Zielona Góra and Elbląg.

1896

  • Comissioning power plants in Przemyśl and in Bydgoszcz and a third power plant in Szczecin (Dąbie).

1897

  • Putting into operation subsequent power plants in: Zabrze, Chorzów, Jasło and Sopot.

1898

  • Putting into operation first hydroelectric power plants – Kamienna and Struga.
  • Publication of the report by Wiliam H. Lindley entitled “Warsaw Electrification Plan”.
  • Comminssioning steam power plants in Gdańsk, Grudziądz, Legnica and Wałbrzych.

1899

  • New steam power plants in Brodnica, Gorzów, Słupsk, Tczew and Toruń. 

1900

  • Putting into operation hydroelectric power plants in Płoty on the Rega.

1901

  • Public utility steam power plants in Gniezno, Radom, Lvov and Tarnopol.

1903 

  • Putting into operation a provisional power plant in Powiśle district in Warsaw with the capacity of 200 kW. 
  • New thermal power plants in Borislav and Vilnius. 
  • Production of the first electric energy meters.

1904

  • Putting into operation the Prusinowo Hydroelectric Power Plant on the Rega.
  • Putting into operation a power plant in Powiśle district in Warsaw with the capacity 1.66 MW.
  • Putting into operation a city power plant in Poznań.

1905

  • Publishing the work entitled “The Register of Water Power in Galicia, Part I – the Dunajec”. 
  • Putting into operation the Zieliska Hydroelectric Power Plant on the Nysa Łużycka.
  • Municipal power plants in Kraków and Racibórz. 

1906

  • First street lamps (crosiers) in Warsaw.
  • Municipal power plant in Wadowice.

1907

  • Incorporation of the Borkowski Brothers' Brabork Electrical Company in Warsaw. 
  • Tubine set No. 1 in the Łódź Power Plant takes the first operational load on 18 September. 
  • Putting into operation the DobrzycaHydroelectric Power Plant on the Gwda and the Leśna Hydroelectric Power Plant with a 45 m tall stone and concrete dam as well as the Olsztyn Hydroelectric Power Plant. 

1908

  • Incorporation of Drutowski and Imass Electric Apparatus Works Co. in Łódź. The factory produced high voltage equipment.
  • First electric tram appears in the streets of Warsaw on 26 March at 9:45 AM.
  • 6 kV grid is built in the Upper Silesia Industrial Region.
  • Putting into operation four hydroelectric power plants: Czarnocińskie Piece and Stocki Młyn on the Wierzyca and Lidzbark on the Łyna and Kużnice on the Radunia. 

1909

  • New municipal power plants in Cieszyn, Białystok, Kołobrzeg, Opole an Zgierz.

1910

  • Putting into operation six hydroelectric power plants: Rutki and Straszyn on the Radunia, Małomice on the Bór, Bukówka on the Nysa Łużycka, Bledzew on the Obra and Owidz in the Wierzyca. 
  • Putting into operation a power plant in Tarnów.

1911 

  • Putting into operation the Sobolice Hydroelectric Power Plant on the Nysa Łyżycka and Bobrowice II on the Radew.
  • Putting into operation steam power plants in Rzeszów and Czechnica near Wrocław.

1912

  • Putting into operation hydroelectric power plants: Pilchowice I on the Grabowa and Kolincz on the Wierzyca.
  • Commissioning CHP plants in Otwock, Nowy Sącz and Siersza. 

1913

  • Putting into operation four hydroelectric power plants: Gałąźnia Mała and Zasieki on the Nysa Łużycka, Niedalino on the Łyna and Nowy Żytnik on the Wałsza. 

1914

  • Putting into operation hydroelectric power plants in Pieniężno on the Wałsza and Łyna on the Łyna.
  • Publication of a map of electrification of Poland.
  • Putting into operation a thermal power plant in Włocławek. 

1915

  • Putting into operation the Łabicz Hydroelectric Power Plant on the Nysa Kłodzka.

1916

  • Putting into operation the Piezrchały Hydroelectric Power Plant on the Pasłęka.
  • Thermal power plant in Będzin.

1917

  • Putting into operation hydroelectric power plants Borowo on the Drawa and Kuźnice in Zakopane.
  • New thermal power plants in Łaziska and Pruszków. 

1918

  • Putting into operation the Lubachów Hydroelectric Power Plant on the Bystrzyca.
  • Incorporation of a joint stock company Siła i Światło withe the objective to develop business activity in the scope of electrification of Poland. 

1919

  • Commencement of sale of shares in the joint stock company Siła i Światło in Warsaw.
  • Establishment of the Electrification Office attached to the Ministry of Industry and Commerce.
  • Association of Polish Electrical Engineers (Polish abbrevation: SEP) is brought into being. 

1920

  • Commencement of earthworks in the Gródek Hydroelectric Power Plant construction site.
  • Sale of shares of the Regional Power Plant in Pruszków.
  • Electric calbes are laid in Warsaw.
  • First high voltage lines in Będzin.
  • Creation of an independent Electrical Department at the Ministry of Public Works in place of the Electrification Office. 

1921 

  • Putting into operation hydroelectric power plants Pruszcz on the Radunia and Trzebiatów on the Reda.
  • New exploitation works technology on the overhead lines.
  • Ministry of Public Works publishes the first volume of the “Electrification of Poland” entitled Lesser Poland” edited by Kazimierz Siwicki.

1922

  • Placing the concreteon the dam ad the Gródek Power Plant.
  • Electricity Act is passed od 21 March, published on 16 May in the Jornal of Laws of the Republic of Poland No. 34 item 277. 
  • Putting into operation seven hydroelectric power plants: Drzeżewo on the Łupawa, Grajówka on the Bór, Gucisz on the Myśla, Likowo on the Reda, Rosnowo on the Radew, Skarszów on the Szkotewka and Szklarska Poręba II on the Kamienna.

1923 

  • Publication of the second volume of the work entitled “Electrification of Poland – Greater Poland and Pomerania” edited by Kazimierz Siwicki. 
  • Drawing up map of power plants in central and eastern voivodeships.
  • Drawing up a map of electrification of Pomerania, national 60 kV grid.
  • Sale of shares of Pomorska Elektrownia Krajowa Gródek SA.
  • Sale of shares of the Elektrosan Regional Power Plant on the San. 
  • Putting into operation the first Kaplan turbine in Poland in the Bledzew Power Plant. 
  • President of the Republic of Poland, Stanisław Wojciechowski, commissions Power Plant on 24 April.
  • Nine subsequent hydroelectric power plants are commissoned in Western Poland: Brzeg, Janowice and Kopin on the Oder, Żagań I and Żagań II on the Bóbr, Nysa and Bystrzyca on the Nysa Kłodzka, Strzegominoon the Słupia, and Marszowice on the Bystrzyca. 

1924

  • A series of courses promoting the use of electricity in cooking.
  • Promoting shops attached to power plants where household appliances are offered. 
  • Construction of the 60 kV Gródek-Grudziądz line, first electric connection of customers and a power plant on both banks of the Vistula. 
  • Putting into operation six hydroelectric power plants: Gorzupia and Wrzeszczyn on the Bóbr, Złotniki on the Kwisa, Wocław I on the Oder, Braniewo on the Pasłęka and Rejowice on the Reda. 

1925

  • Publication of the third volume of “Electrification of Poland – Central and Eastern Voivodeships” edited by Kazimierz Siwicki.
  • Publication of map showing production of electric energy in central and eastern voivodeships.
  • Putting into operation four hydroelectric power plants: Bielkowo on the Radunia, Bobrowice I on the Bóbr, Krzynia on the Słupia, and Wrocław II on the Oder. 
  • First tower station in Będzin.
  • First electrification programmes covering the years 1925-1931 are developed.
  • Ministry of Public Works publishes the report entitled “Statistisc of Power Companies in Poland”. 

1927

  • Putting into operation five hydroelectric power plants: Bobrowie III and Pilchowice II on the Bóbr, Łapino on the Radunia, Gubin on the Nysa Łużycka and Nysa on the Nysa Kłodzka. 
  • Publication of the map depicting the location of water energy sources in the Republic of Poland. 

1928

  • Ministry of Public Works publishes the fourth volume of the “Electrification of Poland” entitled “Zagłębie” edired by Kazimierz Siwicki. 
  • First municipal cubicle transformer station in Będzin. 
  • Putting into operation hydroelectric power plants – Brzeg on the Oder and Ołownik on the Węgorap.
  • New technology of 30 kV overhead cable line installation. 

1929 

  • Putting into operation the Żur Hydroelectric Power Plant with 8MW of power – the largest Polish hydroelectric power plant built in the interwar period and the Podgaje Hydroelectric Power Plant on the Gwda.
  • Expansion of Łódź I Power Plant by adding turbine set X and cooler XIII.
  • Developing the project of electrification of Poland. 

1930

  • Commissioning of the Jastrowie Hydroelectric Power Plant on the Gwda.
  • First 60 kV overhead substation attached to the Żur Power Plant.
  • Opening a shop with electrical appliances at the Łódź Power Plant.
  • Electric illumination of the Kościuszko monument and lighting of Pabianicka Street in Łódź.  
  • Putting into operation the first 3MVA compenasator at the station in Wschowska Street in Warsaw. 
  • Opening an electric counselling centre in Kraków. 
  • Publication of a high voltage grid plan of the Warsaw District Power Plant, the area covered by Wola licence. 
  • Introducing 60 kV line construction technology with wooden poles in Bydgoszcz.

1931

  • Sale of newly issued shares of a joint stock company Pomorska Elektrownia Krajowa Gródek. 

1932

  • New headquartes of Polskie Zakłady Elektrotechniczne ERA (Polish Electrical Enginneering Company ERA) in Włochy near Warsaw. The factory produces direct current electric machines and instruments, and systems for railway communications, aviation and radio telegraphy.
  • Putting into operation hydroelectric power plants: Otmuchów on the Nysa Kłodzka, Ptusza on the Gwda, Kraszewice on the Bóbr and Łebień on the Łupawa.
  • Polskie Zakłady Siemens SA Warszawa (Polish Siemens Works JSC Warsaw) announces its readiness to perform installation of a three-phase power supply, lighting, signage and signalling for co-op societes, government and private buildings, shops, offices, cinemas, dance clubs, theatres, restaurants, etc. 
  • Fabryka Aparatów Elektrycznych S. Kleiman i S-wie (S. Kleiman & Sons Electric Engines Factory) in Warsaw for the first time in Poland recommends oil circuit-breakers with the disconnecting capacity of 400 MVA, produced under a licence from Voigt&Haeffner.
  • Electrical Engines Factory K. Szapotański & Co. PLC, Warsaw, announes the production of and includes the following into their offer: meters, cut-outs, unction boxes, switchgear, high voltage apparatus up to 35 kV, oil circuitbreakers up to 35 kV with a disconnecting capacity up to 200 MVA.
  • The Borkowski Brothers of Warsaw offers Brabork electric heaters for sale. 
  • The Makowski and Zauder of Łódź sells meter panels made from insulation materials and Bergmann system current limiters. 
  • The Electrical Department is transferred to the Ministry of Industry and Commerce. 

1933

  • Construction of the Białystok II Power Plant.
  • First demonstration of works performed on a live 60 kV line within the operating area of Gródek Company.
  • Construction of a 30 kV power line Owock-Falenica. 
  • Putting into operation the Otmuchów Hydroelectric Power Plant on Lake Otmuchowskie.

1934 

  • Publication of a map of government licences issued under the Act of 1922.
  • Commissioning three hydroelectric power plants: Szklarska Poręba on the Kamienna, Rakowiec on the Nogat and Juszkowo on the Radunia. 
  • New customer service hall at the Łódź Power Plant. 

1935

  • Oliven (France) designs a pan-European 400 kV grid from Portugal to Turkey and Ukraine.
  • Viel (Germany) develops an alternative plan for the construction of a pan-European 400 kV power grid from Portugal to Russia and the Balkans. 
  • Putting into operation six hydroelectric power plants: Raduszec Stary and Włodzice on the Bóbr, Smołdzino on the Łupawa, Wadąg on the Wadąg, Opolnica on the Nysa Kłodzka and Międzylesie on the Myśla. 
  • Developing a project of a 150 kV transmission line between Mościce and Starachowice.

1936

  • Developing a map of Poland divided into electrification districts and a plan of a future ultra high voltage grid. 
  • Putting into operation a pumped storage power plant with a capacity of 79.5 MW in Dychów on the Bóbr and four hydroelectric power plants: Brąswald on the Łyna, Biesowice on the Wieprza, Rościno on the Parsęta and Koszyce on the Gwda.
  • Publication of the Builder's Handbook “Electrical Appliances for Households” by the Polish Association of Power Plants in Warsaw. 
  • The Association of Polish Electrical Engineers publishes a work by eng. A. J. Morawski entitled “Electric Grids and Power Plant Cooperation” – the first Polish manual on electric power systems. 
  • Introducing reinforced concrete poles for 35 kV lines. 
  • Commissioning the world's first hydroelectric power plant equipped with tubular Kaplan's turbines at the Rościno Hydroelectric Power Plant on the Parsęta. 

1937

  • The Pomerania National Power Plant in Gródek publishes Circular Letter No. 1 addressed to the residents of seaside resorts and related to electrification of the coast, containing the plan and specifying the purpose of electrification. 
  • New division of Poland into electrification districts.
  • Developing plans of electrification of the Warsaw disctrict.
  • Developing plans of electrification of Lublin voivodeship.
  • A universal tariff for the customers od Pomorska Elektrownia Krajowa Gródek SA buying voltage energy.
  • Putting into operation the Prędzieszyn Hydroelectric Power Plant on the Radunia and the Turawa Hydroelectric Power Plant on the dam Lake Turawskie. 

1938

  • Developing production of household appliances in the Heaters Factory in Gródek between 1931 and 1938.
  • A new 60 kV power line Otwock-Warsaw Praga.
  • Introducing typical solutions for MV/LV transformer stations. 
  • New power plants in Gdynia Chylonia and Stalowa Wola. 
  • Evaluation of the status of electrification in the Free City of Danzig.
  • New solutions for the production of electric stoves from Gródek and the Borkowski Brothers (Brabork).
  • Launching the production of water-tube boilers with serpentine tubes at W.Fitzner and K. Gamper factory, Sosnowiec, Dąbrowa Górnicza. 
  • Government License No. 351 is conferred to Zakład Elektryczny Okręgu Podstołecznego ZEOP Spółka z o.o. The licence covers processing, tranmission and distribution of electricity in four poviats of Warsaw voivodeship and in six gminas within the poviat of Garwolin in Lublin voivodeship. 
  • PEK Gródek company in Toruń is granted Patent Licence No. 26859 according to a patent description. 
  • Publication of the 50th issue of the General Electrical Engineering Catalogue of the Borkowski Brothers' Brabork factory. 
  • Publication of a map of a electrification of rural areas in Poland. 

1939 

  • Kazimierz Szpotański i S-ka SA exhibits a 600 kV test transformer at the electromechanical exhibition in Katowice. 
  • Sale of shares of Śląskie Zakłady Elektryczne Sp. z o.o. (Silesian Electric Works Ltd.) in Katowice; one bearer share is worth 1,000 zlotys. 
  • Development of Rohn-Zieliński BBC company producing three-phase engines, current generators, transformers, electric equipment, and pumps. 
  • FAE K. Szapotański i S-ka SA presents a 150 kV low-oil circuit-breaker at the Metal Industry and Electrical Engineering exhibition in Warsaw (first such unit made in Poland) and other transformers and switching station equipment. 
  • Consttuction the Stalowa Wola Power Plant is completed. 

1940

  • Putting into operation the Przysieka Hydroelectric Power Plant on the Nysa Łużycka. 

1941

  • Commissioning the first turbine set at the Rożnów Hydroelectric Power Plant. 

1943

  • Completion of the war-time construction of the Rożnów Hydroelectric Power Plant. 
  • Restoring electric lighting in Warsaw after putting the Powiśle Power Plant into operation.
  • Establishment of the National High-Voltage Institute in Warsaw. 

1945 

  • Evaluation of the state of the Powiśle Power Plant after the Warsaw Uprising. 
  • Formulation of the power plants and LV network development plants in territory of the Polish Republic between 1946 and 1948.
  • Evaluation of the status of Polish countryside electrification in 1945. 
  • Planned expenditures for restruction and expansion of the power engineering industry as per power districts. 
  • Completion of the 1st phase of the Pruszków Power Plant reconstruction. 
  • Completion of the 1st phase of the Powiśle Power Plant renostruction following war devastation. 

1946 

  • Re-launching – after war devastation – all turbine sets at the Rożnów Hydroelectric Power Plant. 

1948 

  • Publiaction of the map “Electrification in Rural Areas in Poland in 1948”.
  • New division of the country into power districts. 
  • Start-up of Bydgoszcz Jasiniec station with the 60 kV substation. 

1950

  • Preparing the design for a typical MV/LV pole station. 
  • Putting into operation a number of 110/30 kV and 110/15 kV transformer stations in outdoor and partially indoor locations.

1951

  • Putting into operation the Dychów Hydroelectric Power Plant on the Bóbr reconstructed after the war, the Czchów Hydroelectric Power Plant on the Dunajec and the Smukała Hydroelectric Power Plant on the Brda. 
  • Reconstructing the State Hihg-Voltage Institute and establishing the Electrotechnical Institute in Międzylesie near Warsaw. 

1952

  • Putting into operation the Gorzupia Hydroelectric Power Plant on the Bóbr.

1953

  • Putting into operation the Porąbka Hydroelectric Power Plant (12.6 MW) on the dam constructed before the war.
  • The Power Engineering Institute is established in Warsaw.

1954

  • Putting into operation the second turbine assembly at the Czchów Hydroelectric Power Plant.
  • Putting into operation a 220/100 kV station in Rożki and 220 kVline between Rożki and Mory. 
  • Commissioning the Żerań CHP Plant in Warsaw.

1955

  • Putting into operation the Przewóz Hydroelectric Power Plant on the Vistula.

1956

  • Construction of a new 12-bay 110 kV substation at the Warszawa Zachodnia station.
  • Putting into operation the Olszyna Hydroelectric Power Plant on the Bóbr.

1958

  • Putting into operation the Wały Hydroelectric Power Plant (9.7 MW) on a new navigation dam on the Oder in Brzeg Dolny.
  • Commissioning of the Łódź II CHP Plant and completing the 1st stage of the construction of the Konin Power Plant (165 MW).

1959

  • Putting into operation two units of 70 MW each at the Blachownia Power Plant.

1960

  • Commissioning of the Koronowo Hydroelectric Power Plant (26 MW).
  • Commissioning the first Polish 400 kV (provisionally under the voltage of 220 kV) transmission line between Mikułowa and Joachimów. It was built by ELBUD according to the design by Energoprojekt Kraków. 
  • Putting into operation two additional units of 70 MW each at the Blachownia Power Plant. 
  • Putting the first Kaplan turbine produced in Poland into operation at the Kuźnica Hydroelectric Power Plant on the Radunia. 
  • Putting into operation two units od 60 MW of power each at the Pomorzany Power Plant. Putting into operation the Bielsko-Biała CHP Plant. 

1961

  • Putting into operation the Myczkowce and Skawina hydroelectric power plants on the San and Vistula respectively. 
  • The 2nd stage of construction of the Konin Power Plant (150 MW) is completed and earthworks under the foundationof the main building of the Adamów Power Plant are carried out.

1962

  • Signing the foundation act for the construction of the Włocławek Power Plant and the barrage.
  • Putting into operation the Tryszczyn Hydroelectric Power Plant on the Brda.
  • Establishing the Institute of Power Systems Automation in Wrocław (IASE). 
  • Putting into operation the Warsaw Siekierki Combined Heat and Power Plant (1st stage).
  • Putting into operation the Turów Power Plant. Commissioning two unit of 200 MW power each. 

1963

  • Commissioning hydroelectric power plants Dębe on the Narew and Witki on the Witka.
  • Putting into operation the first computer in the power industry (URAL-2, Institute od Power Engineering, Warsaw).
  • Putting into operation another two units of the total capacity of 400 MW at the Turów Power Plant. 

1964

  • Mikułowa-Joachimów line is switched to a voltage of 400 kV.
  • Putting into operation a specialist MCERO computer made by IASE Wrocław for economic division of loads between the plants at PDM. 
  • Turów Power Plant – putting two blocks od 200 MW each into operation and the 3rd stage of cosntruction of the Konin Power Plant (two units, 120 MW each) is completed. 

1965 

  • Putting into operation a 200 MW unit at the Turów Power Plant. 

1966

  • Putting into operation two unitsof the total capacity od 240 MW (2 × 120 MW) at the Stalowa Wola Power Plant.
  • Full designed capacity in the Adamów Power Plant is reached – five 120 MW units. 

1967

  • Commissioning of the Tresna and Dąbie Hydroelectric Power Plants on the Sola and the Vistula respectively. 
  • Putting into operation two units of 400 MW (2 × 200 MW) at the Pątnów Power Plant. 
  • Putting into operation two units of the total capacity of 240 MW (2 × 120 MW) at the Łaziska Power Plant. 

1968

  • Putting into operation the Solina Hydroelectric Power Plant (137 MW).
  • Pątnów Power Plant – putting into operation two units of 400 MW (2 × 200 MW). 
  • Completing the construction of the dam in Włocławek and directing water towards the weir. 
  • Multistage and long-term construction process of Kraków-Łęg Combined Heat and Power Plant is started. 

1969

  • Pątnów Power Plant – putting into operation two units of 400 MW (2 × 200 MW). 
  • Putting into operation three units of 360 MW (3 × 120 MW) at the Łagisza Power Plant. 
  • Putting into operation three units of 360 MW (3 × 120 MW) at the Siersza Power Plant. 

1970

  • Commissioning of the Włocławek HydroelectricPower Plant (162 MW) and the Żydowo Pumped-Storage Hydroelectric Power Plant (151 MW).
  • Construction of the 400 kV Kozienice-Warszawa Miłosna line by ELBUD Warsaw. 
  • The Power Engineering Institute and Power Dispatch Centre in Warsaw receive 2nd level State Award for introducing computer-aided methods od economic loads division between plants into the national electric power system. 
  • Turów Power Plant – putting into operation a 200 MW unit.
  • Putting into operation the Łódź III CHP Plant. 
  • Łaziska Power Plant – putting into operation a 200 MW unit. 

1971

  • ODRA 1204 computer made by ELWRO Wrocław in installed in the Department of Digital Electronics at the Power Engineering Institute in Warsaw, 2 Mysia Street.
  • New map of utility power industry's territorial division in Poland.
  • New organisation structure if the Power Industry Association. 
  • Turów Power Plant – putting into operation two blocks of 200 MW each and reaching the full capacity of the plant (2 GW).
  • Łaziska Power Plant – putting into operation a 200 MW unit.
  • Putting into operation the Bydgoszcz II CHP Plant. 
  • Putting into operation the Głębinów Hydroelectric Power Plant in the dam on Lake Nyskie. 

1972 

  • Putting into operation a modern CDC-3170 + 2 × CDC 1700 computer system at the National Power Dispatch Centre in Warsaw.
  • New 220/ 110 kV Kozienice station in Świerże Górne. 
  • Łaziska Power Plant – putting into operation two units of 400 MW (2 × 200 MW).
  • Putting into operation the Wrocław II CHP Plant. 
  • 2nd stage of construction of the Siekierki Combined Heat and Power Plant is completed.
  • Putting into operation the Ostrołęka B Power Plant with the capacity of 600 MW (3 × 200 MW).
  • Rybnik Power Plant – putting into operation a 200 MW unit.
  • Kozienice Power Plant – putting into operation a 200 MW unit.

1973

  • Pątnów Power Plant – putting into operation a 200 MW unit.
  • Rybnik Power Plant – putting into operation two units of 400 MW (2 × 200 MW).
  • Kozienice Power Plant – four 200 MW units (4 × 200 MW) are put into service in one year. 
  • Putting into operation the Gdańsk II CHP Plant. 

1974

  • 97 thousan electricity consumers are devoid of power supplies for several days as a result of failure due to severe wind and snow. 
  • Putting into operation tubular turbine sets launched in Głębinów on the Nysa Kłodzka (3 MW). 
  • Pątnów Power Plant – putting into operation a 200 MW unit.
  • Rybnik Power Plant –  putting into operation a 200 MW unit.
  • Kozienice Power Plant – putting into operation two units of 400 MW (2 × 200 MW).
  • Completion of the 3rd stage of construction of the Siekierki Combined Heat and Power Plant. 
  • Dolna Odra Power Plant – putting into operation two units of 400 MW (2 × 200 MW).

1975

  • Launching tubular turbine sets in Smardzewice on the Pilica (3.4 MW).
  • Kozienice Power Plant – putting into operation a 200 MW unit. 
  • Dolna Odra Power Plant – putting into operation three units of 600 MW (2 × 200 MW).

1976

  • Development of model research into heat processes at the Power Engineering Institute.
  • Establishing the Centre for Power Engineering and Nuclear Energy Information in Warsaw. 
  • Dolna Odra Power Plant – putting into operation two units of 400 MW (2 × 200 MW).
  • Completing the 1st stage of construction (heat engineering) of the Kawęczyn Combined Heat and Power Plant (Warsaw). 

1977

  • Dolna Odra Power Plant – putting into operation a 200 MW unit. 
  • Putting into operation the Łódź IV CHP Plant.
  • Commercement of the 4th stage of construction at the Siekierki Combined Heat and Power Plant. 
  • Jaworzno III Power Plant – putting into operation four units of 800 MW (4 × 200 MW).
  • Putting into operation the reconstructed Rościno Power Plant on the Parsęta. The plant is equipped with tubular turbines of domestic production. 

1978

  • Rybnik Power Plant – putting into operation four units of 800 MW (4 × 200 MW).
  • Jaworzno III Power Plant – putting into operation two units of 400 MW (2 × 200 MW).
  • Commencement of the 5th stage of construction of the Siekierki CHP Plant (Warsaw).
  • Putting into operation the first turbine set with a capacity of 500 MW at the Kozienice Power Plant. 

1979 

  • Putting into operation the Porąbka-Żar Pumped-Storage Hydroelectric Power Plant (500 MW).
  • Puttting into operation the second 500 MW turbine set at the Kozienice Power Plant. 
  • Połaniec Power Plant – putting into operation the first unit with a capacity of 200 MW.
  • Putting into operation the first coal-fired 200 MW electrical power unit at the Łaziska ower Plant. 

1980 

  • New 400/220 kV 250 MVA transformer at Warszawa Miłosna station. 

1982

  • Żarnowiec Pumped-Storage Hydroelectric Power Plant with an achievable capacity of 716 MW is started on Lake Żarnowieckie. 
  • Commecement of the 6th stage of construction of the Warsaw Siekierki Combined Heat and Power Plant. 
  • The 4th stage of construction of the Kraków-Łęg Combined Heat and Power Plant is completed. 
  • Construction of Żarnowiec Nuclear Power Plant is commenced. 

1983

  • Bełchatów Power Plant – putting two 360 MW units into operation. 

1984 

  • 400 kV substation in Płock cut into the 400 kV Warszawa Miłosna-Gdańsk Błonia line, connected on 30 September. 
  • Bełchatów Power Plant – putting into operation two units of 720 MW (2 × 360 MW).

1985

  • Bełchatów Power Plant – putting into operation two units of 720 MW (2 × 360 MW).

1986

  • Bełchatów Power Plant – putting into operation two units of 720 MW (2 × 360 MW).

1987

  • Bełchatów Power Plant – putting into operation two units of 720 MW (2 × 360 MW).

1988

  • Bełchatów Power Plant – putting into operation two units of 720 MW (2 × 360 MW).

1989

  • Putting into operation the first unit with the capacity of 360 MW at the Opole Power Plant. 

1990

  • 400/110 kV Krosno Iskrzynia station is put into operation. 
  • Incoporation of Polskie Sieci Elektroenergetyczne SA (Polish Electrical Power Networks JSC), a company wholly owned by the State Treasury, with its headquartes in Warsaw at 2 Mysia Street. 

1991

  • The first sulphur hexafluoride insulated substation is put into operation in Warsaw. 

1992

  • Expansion od 220/110 kV station in Ełk is completed – the second 160 MVA ATR auto transformer is put into operation. 

1993

  • Commissioning the 400 kV Gdańsk Błonia-Olsztyn Mątki line.
  • Commissioning the 400 kV Warszawa Miłosna- Białystok Narew line. 
  • Incorporation of TEL-ENERGO SA providing telecommunications services by means of optical fibre power lines. 
  • 400/110 kV station in Mątki near Olsztyn is put into use. 

1994

  • Incorporation of Elektrownie Szczytowo-Pompowe SA (Pumped-Storage Hydroelectric Power Plants JSC) in Warsaw.
  • First long-term contracts for the supplies of power and electricity from the baseload plants and combined heat and power plants.

1995

  • Public Power System is connected to UPCTE (currently UCTE).

1996

  • Clearing and Settlement Centre of the CENTERL Group states is opened. 
  • Comprehensive modernisation of 220/110 kV station in Płock Podolszyce is completed.

1997

  • Czorsztyn-Nidzica Hydroelectric Power Plant with the capacity od 92 MW is put into operation.
  • Infrared thermographic tests are implemented in PSE SA in order to diagnose lines, stations and station apparatus condition.
  • Pątnów II project is launched in Pątnów-Adamów-Konin SA Power Plants Group. 
  • Flood – the disaster did not spare power facilities, primarily in Opolskie and Katowickie voivodeships. 

1998 

  • New Krosno Iskrzynia- Lemeśany (Slovakia) international line is included in the national system.
  • Polish plant construction services are exported. A power plant is built by Elektrim – Megadex in Turkey. 

2000

  • Completely modernised 220/110 kV Gorzów station is put into operation after a two year-long conversion.
  • Development of telecommunication systems in Polish electrical power engineering. 
  • Advanced technologies in the construction of lines and stations implementation of composite insulated 110 kV tubular poles. 

2001

  • Commissioning of DC/AC converter station in Słupsk and 400/ 110 kV Słupsk-Wierzbięcino station. 
  • Continuing the conversion of 110 kV overhead lines into cable lines in suburban areas. 

2002

  • Winter 2002/2003 – disastrous icing of lines in Southern Poland. 
  • Modernisation of 110/15 kV Zachodnia and Batory stations in Warsaw using SF6 technology. 

2003

  • Signing the foundation act commemorating the beginning of construction of the first four-circuit Poznań Plewiska-Kromolice line with three voltage values: 400, 220 and 100 kV. It is a part of the Plewiska-Ostrów transmission system.
  • Completed modernisation of Solina Hydroelectric Power Plant the plant's generating capacity is increased to 200 MW. 
  • Completed modernisation of Adamów and Leśniów stations.
  • Completed construction of 400 kV Dobrzeń-Wielopole line. 

2004

  • Commissioning a new 220 kV line on tubular poles between Zielona Góra Combined Heat and Power Plant and Leśniów.
  • PSE SA and ELBUD SA Warszawa sign a contract on the construction of a 400 kV Tarnów-Krosno Iskrzynia line. 
  • Implementation of a new electric pole placement technology involving the altitude method using a derrick during the construction of the Poznań Plewiska-Kromolice line. 
  • Signing of the foundation act commemorating establishement of the company PSE Operator SA. 
  • Completed conversion and modernisation of 220/110 kV Warszawa Mory station. 

2005

  • Completed modernisation of Dychów Hydroelectric Power Plant.
  • Setting the foundation stone under the new headquartes of Operator Systemu Przemysłowego (Transmission System Operator) in Bielawa, Konstancin-Jeziorna commune. 
  • Works at the construction of Pątnów II power unit are initiated. 
  • Implementation of Directives 2003/54/EC and 2003/55/EC and important legislavite changes affecting the functioning of the power industry in Poland. As a results the Polish Energy Law and the Enviromental Protection Act are modified. 
  • In order to improve cross-border electric energy trade, the following coordinated auctions for transmission capacities are introduced: annual and monthly auctions as of January 2005 and 24-hour auctions as of April 2005 – day-ahead market. 
  • On 3 May 2005 the tasks of Distribution System Operators were mainly shifted to the vertically intergrated enterprises, the so-called distribution companies whose business activities also include the supplyof energy.
  • The situation on the green energy market has changed compared to 2004. The system of issuing and managing certificates of origin has functioned in Poland since 1 October 2005.
  • A new enviromental protection instrument is put into effect in the European Union as of 1 January 2005 – greenhouse gas emissions trading licence system. 
  • National Administration of the Emissions Trading Scheme is established on 13 Semptember 2005. Its tasks include, for example, managing the National Licence Register. 

2006

  • A new policy for electrical power sector was announced by the government at the beginning of 2006. Electrical power engineering programme announced on 28 March 2006 provides for the following: vertical consolidation and establishment of several energy groups inclouding both the already functioning production and distribution companies.
  • Boiler pressure tests performed at Pątnów II Power Plant in July are successful at the first attempt. 
  • Construction works at a new 833 MW Power unit are launched in BOT Elektrownia Bełchatów SA (BOT Bełchatów Power Plant JSC) on 16 October 2006.
  • PGE Polska Grupa Energetyczna is incorporated in November 2006.
  • Energetyka Południe (now TAURON Polska Energia) was estalbished in December.

2007

  • All consumers – including the largest group: household consumers – are granted the right to choose the supplier as of 1 July.
  • Transactions of the certificates of origin covering energy produced from the renewable sources are obligatorily processed at the exchange (it also refers to the energy produced in CHP as of the end of December 2007). 
  • Legal separation of distribution system operators in power and gas engineering took place on 1 July 2007. 
  • Pątnów II unit is launched on 23 November 2007 – electricity production for the Public Power System is started. 
  • Flue gas desulphurization unit (Polish abbreviation: IOS) is commissioned at Pątnów I and Pątnów II Plants in December 2007. 

2008

  • A modern 464 MW Pątnów II unit was constructed and launched in Pątnów-Adamów-Konin Power Plants Group on 28 February 2008.
  • Long-term contracts for power and energy purchase were terminated on 1 April 2008. The energy is subsequently released on the market. 
  • A lot of changes took place on the electric energy retail market in 2008 when industrial consumer prices were released. The obligation to approve tariffs for tariff group G – mainty covering household consumers – was mainted by the president of the Energy Regulatory Office (ERO) in order to protect them against unjustified price increase. 
  • ENEA SA is listed at the Warsaw Stock Exchange as of 17 November 2008.

2009

  • PGE Polska Grupa Energetyczna SA debuts on the Warsaw Stock Exchange on 6 November 2009. 
  • In January 2009 the Polish government issued the decision permitting the construction of two nuclear power plants with a projected power of 3 thousand MW each. 
  • Obligatory Community law driven changes in electricity taxation providing for excise duty enter into effect in 2009. In accordance with act of 6 December 2008 on excise duty, tax obligation, as a matter of principale, was shifted from the producers to comapnies selling electric energy to the end user as of 1 March. 
  • In 2009, the president of ERO settled state aid paid in the form of advance payments in 2008 to the producers subjects to the act on termination of long-term contracts. 
  • The protocol of commissionig a 460 MW unit in the Łagisza Power Plant included in TAURON Group was signed on June 27. 
  • Energy Law amendment is passed. It introduces for instance: “exchange obigation” and advance payments on account of connecting new sources to the grid (PLN 30/kW of connected power). 

2010 

  • 30 June – the stock exchange debut of TAURON Polska Energia SA. 
  • Putting into effect the amended Energy Law obliging producers to sell 15% of electrical energy through the Exchange.
  • 4% incrase in the consumption of electrical energy in Poland and 8% rise in prices. 

2011

  • Development of RES (wind warms, biogas plants) and legislavite work related to energy effectiveness. 
  • Repurchasing of the Upper Silesia Power Plants from the foreign investor (Vattenfall) by domestic investors (TAURON, PGNiG).
  • Commencement of works related to gas power engineering in Poland. Conclusion of a contract concerning joint construction of a gas plant in Stalowa Wola by TAURON and PGNiG.
  • Semptember – commissioning of the largest energy generation unit in Poland fired with brown coal, with the capacity of 856 MW in Bełchatów.